Europe: How to conquer 45 cities with little budget?



Barcelona, Spain



When I came back to Singapore from exchange, many asked me how I traveled so much without breaking a hole in my pocket. So, I decided to share some tips with all of you.

Tip no. 1: Get a Eurail passimage

Thank goodness, my friend Josephine advised us to get a 3 months Eurail pass. It was the best thing that ever happened to us. If you know you are going to spend the entire month doing nothing but traveling, you should get it all the more. Each train ride you take would be accounted for. You would only need to pay for reservation cost at the very most which is still very affordable as compared to paying for the full price of the train ride.
Here is where you can get it: http://www.eurail.com/. Even if you are residing in Singapore, you can get the Eurail mailed to you before you travel to Europe. I spend a mere $400 in a span of 4 days in Switzerland when many spend double the amount. Yes, all because of Eurail. It’s a shame so few people know about it.

Tip no. 2: Set a budget
Usually, I set it according to the number of days and the standard of living of the country that I am going to. I usually use the prices of Macdonald’s meals to gauge and I find it pretty helpful.
My rough budget is usually approximately $500 per trip. I will definitely set a higher budget when traveling in Scandinavia, Switzerland and the UK. Also, plan for the activities you are going to sign up for. Some activities such as snowmobiling or dog sledding can be pretty expensive and you would not want to be caught off guard.

Tip no. 3: Research
As boring as it sounds, research. It saved me so much money, you can’t even imagine. I paid approximately $70 to and fro just because I checked the price months in advance. Never underestimate planning.
The 2 airlines I recommend that is pretty value for money: Norwegian Airlines (the most comfortable and affordable with wifi onboard) and Easy Jet (strict on luggage control especially to London but good for price).

Tip no. 4: Travel in a groupimage

The benefits are plenty. You save money on accommodation, food, transport and time just because you are in a group. When you are overseas, you want to try all the food you can but your appetite and the cost does not allow you. That’s when traveling in a group allows you to try many types of food in small portions and at an affordable price.
Also, planning for many trips can be very tiring. Imagine planning for 45 cities? Being in a group helps you share the load. Not only that, my friends and I also get to take turns being tour guides!
Having said that, you want to travel with the right people! It makes all the difference. ;)

Tip no. 5: Go Airbnb

imageimage

Airbnb is by far my favorite and most trusted way of traveling. I have also tried a few hostels and I must say I like Airbnb so much more. I would say go for apartments instead of rooms. It is usually much cozier with more privacy. Also, most apartments come with a kitchen. This means you can cook and save more!
However, I do have a hostel to recommend: St Christopher’s Inn, Barcelona. It is the best hostel I have stayed in my entire trip. The hostel is very clean with good wifi (I manage to skype my best friend with no disturbance) and there’s even a curtain attached to each bed for personal privacy.

Tip no. 6: Bagpack your way in Europe
I learn it the hard way that bagpacking is so much easier. Europe is not very luggage friendly as the roads are mostly paved with cobbled stones. Bagpacking helps you to move more freely especially when you are on the move and not planning to stay for long in a single place. Most airlines gets you to pay extra for check-in luggage and you will save so much if you do without the check-in luggage.

Tip no. 7: Cook and Dine in image

In Europe, the prices in the supermarket is pretty affordable especially when there are offers. So look out for those! And who says that you can only get yummy food outside? I always cook a feast with my friends even when we are traveling and you will be surprised at how cheap it can actually be!

Tip no. 8: Try not to join tours
It takes more effort to plan your routes to seemingly deserted areas but it is so much less painful in cost. Unless you are very sure that going for a tour is more efficient and affordable, I recommend you to travel mostly on foot and public transport. It is so much more rewarding and you learn so much more by walking around too!
So here are the 8 tips. Now go and travel Europe! Clear more than 45 cities because I am sure you can. Maybe by then, you will be sharing traveling tips with me! ;)image

Amserdam, Netherlands

0 comments:

Post a Comment