The Rebelution


As you have read over my past entries, I have been trying to find out what I want to do in the coming 3 months break and eventually my working field after I graduate. As I knew I needed Godly advice, I went up to Nancy.

Nancy introduced me to two home-schooled boys and their project called "The Rebelution". Is there even a word called "Rebelution"?  

One day, the father of the two home-schooled boys gave them many readings during their lesson. The boys read the readings and they were intrigued with famous names such as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Samuel Adams and John Hancock. These men were famous for their contribution to the society. They signed the Declaration of Independence, wrote the Constitution and won the Revolutionary War. An insight that the boys got was that these men were well-accomplished from a young age. John Hancock entered Harvard University when he was 13 years old. Samuel Adams completed his master’s degree before he turned 21. Thomas Jefferson frequently studied 15 hours a day during his time at the College of William and Mary.  

When we read stories such as these, we quickly dismiss them by associating them with the level of "geniuses" or "superhuman". When we do that, we usually do not feel the need to learn or even be challenged by their example. The truth is that these people were not nerds and early college entrances were very common in their time. 

The problem today in our society is that we have extremely low expectations of teenagers and of the young people. The mentality is that it is okay to fail, everyone fails and as long as you pick yourself up by the time you are an adult, it is fine. The mentality of today's world is "to just survive". As a result, we give ourselves many excuses and categorize ourselves as "I am not good in this", "I am just not talented in this area" or "It is too hard for us" if we were challenged "beyond" what we can do. Well, really? Is it really beyond us?  

I myself buy myself into such a mentality. In my JC days, I took a subject many knew was challenging for me, Physics. I did horridly all the time and it was crazily difficult for me. I willingly categorize myself as an arts student and was often satisfied (and even celebrated) with just a mere pass. Thinking back, I think I expected too lowly of myself. In the past, many people were what we call today "all-rounders" because they never did categorize or expect themselves to only grow or challenge themselves in one area. Today, we easily give ourselves excuses when things are hard.

So what is "Rebelution"? The two home-schooled boys define it as "a teenage rebellion against low expectations". Now, look at history once again. Was there ever a period of time categorized as "teenagers" in the past? It is such a waste that many think of teenagers as a time period of "immaturity" and of "rebellion" when many young people of the past were already making a difference in the society. Why not use the energy we have as young people, the energy we have to rebel to do something more?

My plea to you is this: Have higher expectations! Don't be too easy to give up on yourself! Do something that makes a difference! Don't waste that one life that you have away. If you ever think that it is impossible, look at what many teenagers and young people have already done with their lives all over the world: http://therebelution.com/ 

After my conversation with Nancy, I left her place convicted of making a difference in the world today with what I write. I am never giving myself an excuse anymore.

If this has convinced you to do something and you are not sure where to begin or what to do or need someone to talk to, you know you can always come to me :)

“Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.” 
-1 Timothy 4:12

0 comments:

Post a Comment