Getting a Chance at PR


It has been long since "An Answered Prayer" and "Reignited Passion", my last updates on what I intend to do in the coming 3 months. Before, I updated that I was conflicted. However, I decided to go ahead with the pursuit of a PR (Public Relations) internship.

How did it go subsequently? I am not going to lie, I tried very hard to get an internship. I did all that I need. Emailing, phone interview, physical interviews and I even contacted my PR teacher for advice and for contacts. You name it, I did most of it. The point is, I did not get anything trying so hard. There was one particular company that I tried and the response was so good that the interviewer told me that she is inclined to employ me. However, nothing happened subsequently. I was a little disappointed. I waited because I remembered how busy PR practitioners are and she may perhaps email me soon.

When I least expect it and when I was crazily involved in my school work, an email was sent to me that I had a chance at another interview with another PR company. "Really? Seriously?" were written all over my mind. I thought that I had already found the right company, the one that responded to me previously. And the best part was the environment and what the company was aiming for was really suitable with my own personal goals. Still, I knew better than to disregard the email. So, I contacted them and a phone interview came along. I spoke on the phone for 5 minutes, no joking. And guess what? The director told me she would get her staff to follow up and deal with the admin process of my application. I think what she meant subtly was that I was accepted.

I was not sure. The email did not come immediately. In that week, my teacher brought a guest speaker to my PR class, someone who came from a prestigious PR company, Ogilvy. And in my heart, I was overjoyed. Just before exchange, I had a secret ambition that I could get into Ogilvy for an internship. And after the talk, I remembered the speaker saying that if we wanted an internship with Ogilvy, we could contact my teacher. I can't believe it. I went all out to talk to my teacher and got in touch with Ogilvy. Sadly, I did not get a reply after I sent my CV.

God's timing is really interesting. When Ogilvy did not reply me, the 2nd company that I spoke of earlier replied. Indeed, I got an offer with the company. Well, by right, I should be happy right? I tried so hard. I finally got it! But nope, I was not. I got distracted with the possibility of going into a prestigious company and was more upset that they did not reply me. At this juncture, a few friends approached me and told me to try for an internship with a global and prestigious company because it will be easier to apply for jobs in the future. I bought myself into that thought.

In my heart were many battles and struggles of thoughts. Should I wait for Ogilvy's reply? Should I wait for the reply by the first PR company? Should I send more PR internship applications? It did not help that the company was pressing me to reply them on the offer in a week that was filled with so many assignments one after another. I wanted some time to think and needed someone to speak to. I spoke to Jasmine and I came out of the conversation with greater peace. I made a decision: I would accept the offer and not wait any longer for Ogilvy nor would I wait for a reply from the first company.

What made the difference? I was reminded of a verse in Romans 12:2.
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
- Romans 12:2
I buy myself into thinking that I need an internship with a good and prestigious company. But in the verse, it is of a great reminder that God does not think it in this way. Instead, He told me not to conform to what the majority of the world thinks but be transformed by the renewal of my mind and therefore approving of what is good, acceptable and perfect according to God's will. This opportunity given to me is perfect. Thinking about it, this acceptance is such a miracle. Within 5 minutes of phone interview and I got the placement. And to put it in context, I am sure this company does not want just any intern working with them. This is definitely God's best to me. And I learnt something recently. God grants you peace when you make a decision that is consistent with His principles. I knew that because in all my major decisions, I had the peace that God gives when I made a decision between schools, subject combinations and majors in University. Now the same peace is granted when I make this decision.

So in all that I have now, I praise God for it is His best for me. Instead of fighting with God for my best for myself, I will be contented with what God gives me. To end off, I would love to share a song that has been on constant loop for the past week.


I bought the world and sold my heart
You traded heaven to have me again
My heart beating, my soul breathing
I found my life when I laid it down

-Touch The Sky, Hillsong

0 comments:

Post a Comment