When Life Throws You Off-balance


The past 2 weeks has been my exam week and I have been really trying to balance different priorities that I have apart from my studies. It has been my goal for some time to not put studies as my main priority as I believed I wanted to live a more wholesome and meaningful life. Therefore, I have been involving myself with many things, planning a lot and really trying to balance all my commitments. For a huge part of the semester, I must really say I really enjoyed the new shift in mindset and I found myself a lot happier being so involved in many different areas of ministry besides being a student.

Recently, I met up with 2 girls and I prepared to meet them up and share with them what I have learnt from a book, "Teaching to Change Lives" by Dr. Howard Hendricks. And out of the many good lessons that I have learnt was a lesson on balance.  Dr. Howard shared that as teachers of the word (and in general), we have to be growing in different dimensions - intellectually, socially and physically. I think I have been fairing relatively well both intellectually and socially. However, I have neglected the physical aspect of my life. As I read the book, there were a few questions that threw me off and they were questions pertaining to a balance in my life.
        How much of my time do I spend with people?
  How much of my time do I spend at work?
How much of my time do I spend alone? 
 How much of my time do I spend at play?

I realized I really could not bring myself to answer these questions. I have a huge tendency to be a workaholic and I knew exactly how much pressure I give myself to different types of "work" and the fact that there is always work to be done makes me work even harder. God wanted to show me explicitly something about the kind of balance I have in my life through revealing the complications I brought about with my current lifestyle.

Just today before exams, I wanted to go about printing my notes as my exams was going to be an open book test (what good news right?) but as I was still rushing the last bits of my own notes in the morning, I couldn't leave house till slightly later. I underestimated the time that I would need to travel to school. And as I reached school, I panicked and still tried to get it printed but I knew it was all too late. Therefore, I went into the exam hall without my notes. I felt sincerely bad for myself, I totally disadvantaged myself from the rest of the students. I did the exams fairly well (thank God I studied as I made the notes) but not as well as I hoped to. My friends and some of my course mates started discussing about how easy the paper was and how they copied everything from the slides wholesale. At that point, I went into the self-pity path and started feeling horrible and angry at myself.

Then, I realized that the mad rush earlier was God's purposeful reminder of His lesson to me - balance. Bringing myself back to answer the questions, I immediately found a few things that were off balance. In the area of work, I gave too much of myself in some areas and neglected others. I reflected on my situation and I realized I allowed the many things that happen in the week to consume me so much so that I did not have time to settle my own exam notes earlier. As a result, I cannot give my personal best during the exams. Sadly, this sort of rush is not a one time off event and has happened many times and I know therefore to work on this area of balancing my commitment and priorities. And the reason why I felt so sad and constantly stressed was because I never allowed myself to play and truly relax this entire semester. I always felt guilty when I was playing or resting though I always preach it to the people I meet that it is okay to play. However, I myself didn't understand that. So, it's time for more quality play :)

I am currently prayerfully working through these areas and hopefully find a balance that will work out. Well, I am thankful for this little reminder now for I know with internship, final year and Final Year Project coming up, I know that I would need balance more than ever. This is definitely a costly but very valuable lesson - as much as work is important, emotional and physical health is important too. I still remembered asking the young working adults how it is like to balance and adapt to their jobs and I will always remember this one advice - if you do not learn how to balance and prioritise as a student, you will find it difficult to learn how to do it when you are a working adult.

**
A week later, I saw what God did. He did not only reveal to me my problem of balance but that of my sin so that I can come back to the cross once again. This is so that I can recognize that He is and has always been at hand. I realized, I need reminders even in the little things. (http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/when-god-interrupts-your-plans)

"A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones" 
-Proverbs 17:22

0 comments:

Post a Comment