Reflections from a Christian Union (CU) Camp


We had a camp in a little place in Salvation Army that resembles an apartment and within the cosy setting, we learnt the book of 2 Timothy together. If you didn't know, God brought me to Christian Union one semester ago and I am more than thankful that today, I see His Word with a transformed lens. This camp at Salvation Army was part of Christian Union. 

It is so refreshing to study the word together with so many like-minded Christians and together, we uncovered the truths from 2 Timothy. I thank the Lord for such a great privilege and opportunity for me to be blessed within a community that loves Him and His Word. Besides looking into 2 Timothy, I love that Pastor Wai brought us through one helpful way of going about our own Quiet Time - that is to preach the gospel daily to ourselves. In light of what we learnt in 2 Timothy to guard and cherish the gospel, it is so apt for us to dig deeper into the gospel and realise our need for it daily so that we might learn to truly cherish and stand against the false teachings of the present times. For how will we ever know if we are guarding a gospel that is true and faithful if we do not go to it enough?

There were mainly 2 reflections that I had in the camp from 2 Timothy and I can't think of any better words to express what I felt but from the reflections itself. The first reflection was done after reading through and being brought through 2 Timothy 2 and to me the key verse that God spoke to me was verse 13, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

Reflection 1: It's been a short while after SSBC (Singapore Student Bible Conference) ever since I am again reminded that to counter false teaching, I myself have a role to play in rightly handling the word of God. It is easy to simply say then that I have to devote more time into discovering for myself what the word of God says with much prayer and reflection. But I think this could be doable if I were to set aside some time everyday, pondering on the words of the gospel and to allow God to speak to me through His words. Therefore, I resolve to study the word of God everyday.

Furthermore, I am humbled by the fact that there are people like Paul, who for the sake of the elect, continue to do what they do for our growth and maturity in Christ. May I be used in the church knowing that I am promised by the same truth of God's sovereignty in electing His people and therefore I shall not face difficulties with great disappointment but having faith that God is working and will continue to despite our shortcomings in our service to God. 

Prayer 1: "Father, just like what you have mentioned in the bible of the three major pitfalls of guarding the gospel, may I learn daily to be fixed on serving and pleasing you instead of being distracted, guard it with your rules and not by my rules and to be unafraid of the hard work of sowing seeds even if it means suffering. For you have given me a heart not of fear but power (power to persevere), love and self control. And I trust in the Spirit you have given to work through me."

The second reflection came right after reflecting on 2 Timothy 4. The verse that struck me was in verse 2: "Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction." While this was a charge given by Paul to Timothy, I know that this is not meant for Timothy alone but for those who were given a sincere faith and a spirit not of fear but of spirit of power, love and self control (just as Timothy was given, as read in the entire context). As such, we are also commissioned to guard and be entrusted this gospel and to share with others for scriptures are useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 

I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
 - 2 Timothy 1:5-7

And the gift of Timothy is found in 1 Timothy 4:14 to which is a gift that God gives Timothy but is recognised and commissioned by the elders.

Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through prophecy when the body of elders laid their hands on you.
- 1 Timothy 4:14

Reflection 2: Today, I am convicted and convinced that in this generation there are some that God calls to be His guardians of the gospel, some like Paul who would for the rest of his life guard the gospel even till the day that he is entering the end of his race (last few months) and in the context of being in prison. His love was still shown magnanimously for the gospel and for the souls that needs to hear of this gospel. Also I am reminded that just as Paul reminded Timothy to preach in and out of season, I must know that there will be times that I myself will not desire to share and teach the word and even in times when my listeners or even bible study contacts are not in the season to listen to God's word, I will still teach and share with great patience.

Prayer 2: "I pray that I might take part and be one who takes great delight in keeping and guarding the gospel for the current and future generations. I know I am working not without aid but the with the great help of the spirit within me that Paul has experienced that stood by Him and Strengthened Him amidst suffering and in the same way may the living word, the word that is breathed out by God continue to convict my heart so that I may guard the true gospel for my generation. I pray continually for a sober mind and a heart of patience as I continue to deliver and handle the word to the best of my ability. Father, I pray that you intercede this request according to your mighty will. All this I pray, Amen"

All glory to God for revealing His Word to me in such a clear and understandable way. I am so thankful for God's promises in the bible. It is amazing that as I reflect on His Words, He will give me the understanding. Thank you God. 

Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.
- 2 Timothy 2:7

0 comments:

Post a Comment