Pray For Nepal

As we are studying for exams in the comfort of a safe place, working in an office, eating with our loved ones or even having some fun with our friends, are many people on the other side of the world mourning for the loss of a loved one, feeling anxious as they receive updates of their loved ones or hungry and in need of food and shelter.

This news did not hit me till I see footage of the destruction in Nepal. It is massive. This 7.8 magnitude earthquake caused by the convergence of the Eurasian and the Indian plate has caused 8 million people (more than the entire population of Singapore) to be affected, 4310 deaths, 8000 injured and 39 districts affected. As of today, there are some sites such as the Dharahara Tower where the rescue team are not looking for survivors anymore, and just shifting the wreckage for bodies.

I've read the news and some families who have resorted to eating instant noodles for 3 days as they have nothing to eat. Many were left homeless and the latest updates revealed that there was a shortage in water supplies and that they are fearful of diseases breaking out. While relief aids are currently underway into the capital and the areas surrounding it, many of the remote areas with worse conditions are still in great need.

It is heartening to see many countries such as US, Israel, UK, Pakistan and Australia who offered some form of aid to Nepal and many across different social media advocating to #prayfornepal. However, I know that there are many out of there who have not gotten the help that they need and my heart goes out to these people and I think the least I could do is to empathise and pray for them. I think spending 5 mins out of my comfort just to think and pray for them for safety, medical aids and food supplies is not much as oppose to what they are going through. And if you could, I urge you to do the same.

If you have some time, please watch this video as I believe nothing would move you more than this heart-wrenching scenes:


0 comments:

Post a Comment