Discovering God's Will


Recently, I recalled that among the books that were collecting dust in my room was a book called "Discovering God's Will" by Sinclair B Ferguson. The book looked really dull with tacky fonts and colors. While I had the book some time ago, I never wanted to read it. This is a classic case of "Do not judge a book by its cover". I realized all the questions I have been having recently about wanting to know and do God's will and God's purpose in my life were addressed in this book.

I am at the point in my life where there are many decisions that I am making and about to make. I don't want to make my decisions in a hasty manner and I want to make decisions that would be in line with what God has planned for me. However, I struggle with the fact that I do not know what God's plans are for me, I don't know when He will reveal it to me and I don't know how I should be deciding in my daily decisions.

And the book brought about 3 very good reminders and lessons.

1. We learn about God's plans or will for us by first knowing God himself.
"It is not the ability to say that God is a Shepherd, Supplier, Guide, Leader and Restorer.
It is the ability to then say: The Lord is my shepherd, I shall lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake."
The question now is this, "Do I know God personally?" and "Do I know God sufficiently to know the ways He would act in my life?"

2. The discovery of God's will and its accomplishment involves our will.
How do we know if we are ever suited for a particular sphere of work or job? "It is not the lack of ability that is the issue here but the lack of the will to commit yourself to it." Perhaps the main issue in following God's will is not so much about the guidance but the obedience. Am I willing to go through valleys of deep darkness, so long as God is with me?
3. Obedience and Trust
"Trust and Obey" We are so accustomed to hearing it in this order. However, it is also obeying and continuing trusting in God, even when we cannot understand His ways with us. Abraham trusted where he could not see (Hebrews 11:8- By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going). But even when his trust was wavering, obedience was the only way into the perfect will of God for his life (Romans 4:18, Hebrews 11:17-19). Likewise, can I say that I will obey even though I can't understand?

Thinking back about the questions I first asked, I realized I do know the will of God (which is revealed in the bible). What I do not know is how the will of God will be manifested in my life. Therefore, some practical things I can be doing besides waiting for God's plan to be slowly revealed in my life is to continue learning about God, be willing to commit myself in doing what God has already shown me and to continue obeying and trusting in Him.

Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.
-A.W. Tozer


0 comments:

Post a Comment