Sources of Encouragement


If there is one thing that I really love very much about Europe, that would be the culture of encouragement. I work very well with encouragements and because of that I constantly feel a lot happier when I was in Europe. However, back in Singapore, people are much more practical and reserved with their encouragements and compliments. I know I can't blame anyone as I understand how fast-paced life is and how stressful life in Singapore can be. On certain days, I can't help but feel more pessimistic and am less encouraging towards others because I too feel stressed.

Is it then impossible to lead a happy and more optimistic life in Singapore (or in a busy Asian society)? I don't think so. I believe in starting the morning with a positive mindset. If we wake up allowing ourselves to be filled with negative and pessimistic thoughts, I believe we lost at least half the battle for the day ahead. The day would most likely end up bad.

A few days ago, I blogged about wanting to employ 12 daily habits into my life and one of which is to read motivational material every morning. Besides reading the bible, I have found a few websites that is especially helpful in re-aligning my day or in encouraging me.

I love reading buzzfeeds as they are short and entertaining. However, they are far from helpful in setting my day right as they often leave me feeling more upset about my own life - because most of the time, they help me in reinforcing things that I do not have. Desiringgod.org on the other hand caters to my "buzzfeed" needs with content that is very helpful for starting or challenging my day. For example, I read about extending generosity today.

I also love reading blogs. Kitesong is written by a Singaporean christian lady, Waijia, who blogs about her daily life. I admire her courage in revealing her life so that many more can be encouraged by it. She is currently doing missions in Africa and I learn to see how I can be joyful and contented in little things through reading about her life. I got to know about her after chancing upon her wedding video. It was so inspiring!

This is another blog that I go to. Cliff, the blogger, is Waijia's husband. I love how the couple can be so frank with their life and so encouraging in the way they reach out to others. 

Similar to desiringgod, The Gospel Coalition is a blog that challenges our daily thoughts, shares encouraging stories of christians, does book reviews and has really helpful information on the reading of the bible.

5. Phylicia Delta
I have found her recently through a friend of mine who shared her post. A very godly lady that is very frank about her journey with God. If you are a christian and you have many questions relating to dating or getting into a relationship, she has a few pretty good and honest post that you may find help in.

6. The Rebulution
I blogged about 2 siblings recently who start up a project in rebelling against low expectations that the world has on youths. And there are a great amount of inspiring posts that we can be encouraged or challenged by.

7. Shawn Mckenzie
Shawn has a instagram account called instagodministiries. That is how I initially knew of him. He writes very encouraging and frank posts that I feel is really needed in my everyday life. Do read it in the midst of looking through your instagram or facebook feeds.

8. Katie Davis
This lady is amazing and inspiring. She gave her life to missions from a very young age and is financing herself and giving her life to be a mother to many children in Uganda. She is currently married. Wow, amazing what God does in her life. Do read it!

If you know of any helpful blogs or websites that has really good and encouraging content, share it with me too! :)


"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." - Philippians 4:8






0 comments:

Post a Comment