Exploring the World's Happiest City: Copenhagen


Summarize Copenhagen in 3 words and it would be the "world's happiest city", at least thats what they claim themselves to be. I went to Copenhagen on the 7th day of my exchange and I went with no regrets and I got back, really happy.

It was by chance that we got to Copenhagen as we planned on going to Gothenburg (Sweden) instead. However,we were not prepared to pay $60 sgd per train ride to Gothenburg. So we ended up heading to Copenhagen by train from Lund (that cost $20 sgd) and it takes only an hour. 


Yes, I've realized that Denmark and Sweden are extremely close and I happen to stay near the border of Sweden. Upon arriving at the railway station, I was soo excited and I had to take a photo. This is exactly what I picture when I read about fictional characters waiting at a railway station in storybooks. So my imagination is pretty realistic afterall.



I got even more excited when I saw with my own eyes a train that operate with steam engine! When the train stopped, everyone was so amused and many were busy taking photos of this rare sight.  I'm such a lucky girl! I totally felt like I was transported back in time for a while. I never did see the steam engine train again in Copenhagen or in any other parts of Europe even though I frequented the train station the most. It must be a little "welcome to Denmark gift" from God.

The first stop we went to was the world's 2nd oldest Amusement Park, Tivoli. It has been opened since 1843. I have to say its a really pretty Amusement Park. I was more excited about taking photos here then taking the rides. If you would like to take the rides here, get the package instead of paying for individual rides! Its more worth the money.



I really like that the mood here is very joyful especially when the sun is out. I was thinking for some time why this amusement park seems so strangely familiar. I remember watching an episode of Mr Bean being in a theme park with a baby who he was trying to pacify and do weird things with (well, just because its Mr Bean). This theme park must have reminded me of the theme park in Mr Bean! Haha!







We packed lunch for our trip to Copenhagen as the food here is rather expensive and we did not want to eat out. We tried to find seats to sit down and have our lunch and we were rewarded with such nice looking seats and a cute little table. Now I understand why this theme park is so family friendly! These seats must be catered for parents with children. Well, I dont think they mind us snatching their seats for a while.




The inner young girl within me was so excited when we were greeted by a group of marching soldiers as well as interesting characters in the Amusement Park. Now you know why I keep taking photos in Tivoli, everything I see is worth a photo! Tivoli wont last you too long as it isn't big. So we headed to the next place, a really exciting place, a place that is self-governed where the Danish government took no control of.


Within Copenhagen is a Free town, Christiania, where a community of 850 lives governed by a special law (the Christiania Law of 1989). Actually, I think I am pretty daring. No one actually really take photos here, so I tried my luck to take a few.


If you enter Christiania, there are many signs that says no photo-taking and many walls with different graffiti art. I think the smell of weed characterizes the place. They are really open with their lives with each other in this community and I saw a few households with doors and windows wide open with no intention of closing them.


The people here do whatever that makes them happy. They deal with the illegal trading of weed and they do it in little black tents that's quite visible when you go in. Interestingly, the Danish authorities did not forcibly stop this trade. One of my friends told me that the people here don't wear shoes and I was on the look out for these people as they are increasingly less common and I'm happy I succeeded in my mission as you can see! And close to the self-governed town, was a really nice canal. I felt really at ease just looking at it. 


We walked our way to find the Little Mermaid and on the way we witnessed a triathlon thats taking place. The weather isnt good with showers of rain at times but yet this did not spoil the mood of the event. People still went on cheering while the athletes continued persevering. We were part of the crowd who cheered for them too!


I can safely say that the Danish love to exercise. That must be why they always look so fit. Oh, could this also be the reason why they are so happy? Time for me to exercise more too!


We found the Little Mermaid after some time. It wasn't anything much but trust me everyone wants to see her and take photos with her. She is such a celebrity. I had to wait for my turn to take a photo with her upfront. Well, She really is little but its good to finally see her.


We spent the whole day walking and navigating around Copenhagen and it's possible to finish the sights within one day. Therefore, if you ever want to visit Copenhagen, I recommend a day trip. And the total amount that I spent in this trip is $60 sgd - basically only the train rides and the admission to the Amusement Park because everything else is free (well, I packed my own lunch too! Bring snacks along if you are planning to walk the whole day!).

There were some interesting things that I took note of while walking too! :)


I do not know if someone place this unique bike next to the tree on purpose. But it was an interesting surprise to me. It even looks like art beside the tree.


I had to take photos of the lights too as I was really intrigued with how the lamp was supported by a few wires instead of a proper stand like we have here back in Singapore. Well, this looks a lot prettier than our stands though.

Oh! I must definitely remind you to try the many Michelin-starred restaurants in Copenhagen if you have the money to. There are at least 8 of them. Maybe someday I'll be back for the good food.

0 comments:

Post a Comment